Dilip's 2006 Garden Journal

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Finally, I planted the fig tree - and noticed that it actually has two fruits forming! I normally make holes for trees and shrubs 2 1/2 - 3 times as wide as the pot and about as deep, but I understand that if you plant a fig tree 4" deeper than it was planted, it will encourage the fig to become a shrub instead of a 10-20' tall tree, so that's what I did. I put the 12" wide, 12" deep potted fig into a hole, about 18" deep and 30-32" wide, in my fruit tree island, close to where I had the productive peach before it died (some time after storm damage) several years ago. I used the normal kinds of amendments I use, being careful not to fertilize it (avoiding nitrogen, in particular) - I used earthworm castings, compost, lime, rock phosphate, and included about 50% native soil -- if you amend a new hole too much, the roots eventually hit what may feel to them like a brick wall!

I have one crabapple! I wonder why more didn't fruit this year. The roses look good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home