Dilip's 2006 Garden Journal

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Today about a dozen blossoms opened on the weeping cherry! We had fabulous weather in the high 70s and slightly overcast - the best day of the year so far (even Sunday night/Monday morning it was in the 60s), and actually felt a bit hot!

I made up two more loads (each about a quarter or less of my wheelbarrow in volume) of my fertilizer mixture with bat guano as an added ingredient and lime only as a top dressing for those plants that aren't acid loving (i.e., not on the hollies or azaleas or camelias) and fertilized the left side yard plants starting at the mailbox and the winter blooming honeysuckle (past peak bloom) and down to include the two crepe myrtles, Nellie Stevens hollies, photinia, and stalk apple trees.

I pruned the butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight') - it was about 7' tall and about 8' wide, and I pruned it to just a few inches from the ground. I also pruned the two apple trees, the Starkrimson Red Delicious and the Granny Smith. I pruned moderately to a central leader. In the following pictures, you can see a "before and after" of the Red Delicious, and a "after" of the Granny Smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home